One of Playtech’s most successful ever slots, the Gladiator casino game is available in two versions – a progressive jackpot and non-jackpot edition, both of which can be played at our recommended casinos (although the progressive version is by far the more popular of the two). Based on the 2000 film directed by Ridley Scott, the non-jackpot slot first appeared in 2009, followed in 2011 by the progressive game, and its ongoing popularity is a result not only of the huge jackpots it offers, but also because it so successfully recreates the mood and atmosphere of the film which made Russell Crowe an international star.
Best casinos for playing Gladiator
How to play
Gameplay – Although there are two versions of the Gladiator slot – a jackpot and a non-jackpot edition – the gameplay in each is identical. It’s a 5 reel, 25 payline game with wins paying left to right, except for scatter wins which pay anywhere.
Place your bet – There is a good variety of coin sizes to choose from – 0.01, 0.02, 0.05, 0.10, 0.20, 0.50, $1 – and on each payline you can opt to play between 1-10 coins, so the maximum bet is between $2.50 – $250 (however, your chances of winning the progressive jackpot are increased by betting the maximum coin size and number).
Spin the reels – Any winning spins are multiples of the line bet (scatter wins are multiplied by the total bet per spin).
- wild symbol is the Gladiator mask and substitutes for all other symbols apart from the scatter
- only reels 2, 3 and 4 feature the wild
- Gladiator Jackpot Bonus Feature is triggered by hitting 3x Gladiator mask wild symbols
- scatter is the Coliseum symbol
- Coliseum Bonus free spin feature is activated by hitting 3x, 4x or 5x scatter symbols anywhere on the reels
- hitting 5x scatter symbols pays out 100x total bet (up to $25,000)
- hitting 5x Commodus character symbols pays out up to 50,000 coins (up to $50,000)
- hitting 5x Lucilla character symbols pays out up to 10,000 coins (up to $10,000)
- hitting 5x Gracchus character symbols pays out up to 3,500 coins (up to $3,500)
At A Glance
- Slot Type: video slot
- Jackpot Type: pooled jackpot
- Bonus Game: yes
- Scatter: yes
- Free Spins: yes
Coliseum Bonus Feature
When you hit 3x, 4x or 5x scatter symbols anywhere on the reels, you activate the Coliseum Bonus Feature, which is a free spin bonus round where the number of spins and the multiplier applied vary depending on the choices you make. Once you activate the feature, you go to a new screen where there are five rows of five stones. Each row of stones is an element that determines what you can win from your free spins:
- row 1 – the number of free spins you can win (4x – 12x)
- row 2 – how much each win is multiplied by (1x – 3x)
- row 3 – how many extra scatter symbols you have
- row 4 – how many extra wild symbols you have
You make a selection from the first row of stones and, depending on what is revealed, one of four things can happen:
- all of the bonus round features in that column of stones are added to your free spins
- you get to select another bonus to add to your spins from the row above
- you get to select another bonus to add to your spins from the same row
- you collect the one bonus that you have revealed and progress to your free spins
In addition, if you hit the Commodus symbol on reel 3 during the Coliseum Bonus Feature, you collect a further 3x free spins (however, another free spin bonus round can’t be activated).
Gladiator Jackpot Bonus Feature
The progressive jackpot bonus feature is triggered when you hit 3x Gladiator mask wild symbols on reels 2, 3 and 4. Once activated, you’re taken to a new screen where there are nine helmets. When you select a helmet it will become either gold, silver or bronze and will reveal either a 3x, 2x or 1x multiplier (applied to your total bet). Once all nine helmets have been selected, the multipliers are added together and this forms your bonus win. However, if all nine helmets are gold, then you win the progressive jackpot prize, which starts at $50,000 but has no upper limit.
Slot type: themed 5-reel video slot
Jackpot type: Progressive jackpot (minimum payout $50,000)
Bonus game: Coliseum Free Spin Bonus Round and Gladiator Jackpot Bonus Feature
Scatter: Coliseum symbol
Free spins: Coliseum Free Spin Bonus Round
Progressive jackpot – The Gladiator slots progressive jackpot begins at $50,000 but grows every time the game is played anywhere in the world, with no limit as to how high the jackpot can go. The Gladiator Jackpot Bonus Feature is activated by hitting 3x Gladiator mask wild symbols on reels 2, 3 and 4, and the chances of the feature being triggered are increased by betting the maximum coin size and number.
The biggest payout to date was in October 2013, which was USD$3,217,894. Other recent big wins occurred in May 2016 and September 2016, with jackpots of USD$2,369,618 and USD$1,433,265 respectively. On average, the jackpot is won every four months, and the average payout since the game’s inception has been USD$1,410,002.
Other major payouts include a win of up to $150,000 for hitting 5x Commodus symbols during the Coliseum Bonus Feature when the 3x multiplier is in play (and you’re betting the max), while hitting 5x Commodus symbols during base play can be worth up to $50,000 (provided you’re betting the max).
Like most other progressive jackpot slots, the RTP is lower than on regular games at 91.46%, with 0.99% of every losing spin going in to the progressive jackpot pool.
While most players choose Gladiator for the chance to iu8, the game nevertheless stands up as an enjoyable slot in its own right, as evidenced by the fact that it was incredibly successful even before the introduction of the jackpot. Available to play in mobile casinos as well, there is great variety in the gameplay with bonus and scatter symbols combined with a free spin bonus, as well as an engaging theme that successfully recreates the look and feel of the film. Overall, Gladiator ranks amongst the very best games Playtech has ever released.